The altar servers help to create a reverent atmosphere during Mass. Specific responsibilities include carrying the processional cross & candles, holding the Sacramentary for the Priest, assisting the Deacon in preparing the altar for the Liturgy of the Eucharist, assisting the priest in receiving the gifts and helping with the hand washing of the priest during the preparation of the gifts.
Altar servers may be needed to serve at special liturgical celebrations such as weddings, funerals and Stations of the Cross.
Altar server requirements:
- Family registered in the parish.
- Must have received First Eucharist.
- Attend training and follow up formation days.
- Wear cassock and surplice (provided by the parish).
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to Mass they are serving.
- Commit to conducting themselves reverently and respectfully.